10.09.2013




 
Thanks to monopol magazine I just learned about the works of Mike Brodie. He was 17 when he began travelling illegally on wagon trains (that was in 2003 apparently, now it seems that he is "retired").
These photographs leave me with a strange feeling which could be described as a mixture of longing for this romantic nature authenticity hobo thing and strong abomination. Makes me think of tarot cards, eating (hallucinogenic) mushrooms, sleeping in garden plots and believing in dwarves and elves. Scary, actually. And therefore hooking at the same time. The thing is, no urban underground lifestyle photographer could ever take pictures like that and that is what makes them so fascinating for me. I can imagine to be part of the worlds of Alba Yruela or even Nan Goldin (if these are comparable at all), but I definetely can't imagine to be part of Brodie's world. It's too far out and at the same time you have a vague idea of how it could be and that's why it's so haunting. And by the way: I don't really know why Ryan McGinley is mentioned so often in the context of Brodie. To be honest, I find his (staged) photographs BREATHTAKINGLY BORING (and cheesy, too!).

Oh and you can chose the soundtrack yourself. Maybe some old tapes in the basement of your parent's house?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen